Sunday, February 04, 2007

Female Communion

Kris Radish speaks of female communion as "that astonishing crossing of cultures and ages and time and place that wraps women together and makes them one. It is a holy moment, a sacred sharing of estrogen, a remarkable gift of love. it can happen in a public waiting room when a stranger asks another woman to hold her baby -- her beautiful baby -- when she needs to go to the bathroom. It can happen when you see a woman on a street corner and two guys are hassling her and you open your car door and she gets in without hesitation. . . . " (The Sunday List of Dreams 62)

Reading this, it struck me that this is what I want most for my writing--I want it to create that connection between women. I want my writing to speak to women at their very core, to soothe them when they're hurt and grieving, to make them laugh when they most need it, to make them pulse with life and awaken to their own power.

It's a connection that I cherish - a gift from my friends, the women who reach out to me when I am in need. Thanks.

2 Comments:

At 9:07 PM, Blogger Cherry Red said...

That was well said, Sue. I come from a family of mostly women and I've always appreciated the female bond. I hope to create the same thing in my writing as well.

Kim

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Sue! You brilliant girl. You just put your finger on it, on why I write, and what I want to achieve with my writing. Thank you. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home